DRDO stands for Defense Research & Development Organization. It was formed in 1958.It is the Republic of India department accountable for the army research and development. It is created by the DSO integration in association with the Directorate of Technical Development and Production and the Technical Development Establishment. The headquarters is under the Indian Government, the Ministry of Defense, located in New Delhi.
There are more than 5000 researchers and nearly 25,000 other research, scientific training resources supporting the organization. The technology of large weapons, light combat aircraft, missiles, electronic warfare systems, radars, etc, are some of the achievements of DRDO as significant developments.
DRDO Primary focuses
- DRDO focuses to promote in Defence systems the self-reliance so that the intensively operate design and development.
- The world-class weapons devices and tools production are in alignment with the quality and quantity set of criteria by three services, Army, Navy, and Air Force.
- DRDO is dedicated to the defensive technology development. It is a network of laboratories that is continuously into the development of military technology, that includes missiles, fighting vehicles, aeronautics, armaments, instrumentation, training, advanced computing and simulation, unique materials, computer systems, naval system, training, agriculture, information systems, and life sciences.
DRDO had only 10 laboratories. But now, it has over 50 laboratories. Engineers truly passionate about research and development can get an opportunity to serve India, their country. However, aspiring candidates have to take up the Recruitment Exam of DRDO to become a developing products scientist who will help the system of nations defense.
The eligibility is a Bachelors degree in science or a Diploma of 3 years in Computer Science/Technology/Engineering/allied subjects in a recognized institute. Even final year students can apply, but they must ensure they fulfill the eligibility criteria.
DRDO Key activities
- DRDO conducts development activities and scientific research in relevant areas of national security.
- Renders guidance on different research areas of military activities, weapon systems, weapons, Raksha Mantri and three services.
- Suggest and also study Raksha Mantri regarding the national security impact as per the emerging technological advances.
- Manage and guide the Department’s laboratories, initiatives, offices, ranges, buildings, and other services.
- Take part in the analysis and procurement of weapon systems. It is associated technology proposed for the Ministry of Defence purchase.
- Technical and economic support to universities, institutions, and so on. The activities of DRDO also include training and research of national security related personnel focusing science and engineering.